Castle timeline

488 AD

First building on the site by Aesc, son of Hengist

1026 King Canute

1026 King Canute

The Castle is granted to Canterbury Cathedral by King Canute

1160 Additions

The Inner Baily and five towers are built by Henry d’Essex – Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports

1170 Becket’s Death

1170 Becket’s Death

Tradition has it that the Four Knights who would kill Thomas Becket, plotted his death in the Great Hall on 28 December

1240

The Outer Baily is added

1381-82 Enlarging

Archbishop William Courtney carries out extensive remodeling, enlarging the Castle and the surrounding park

1389 Earthquake

Lollard, Lord William Thorpe, escaped the Castle during and earthquake

1390 Rebuilding

William Courtney, Archbishop of Canterbury enlarges the Keep and adds two new Watch Towers and a Twin Cylinder Gatehouse

1540 Cromwell

1540 Cromwell

The Archbishop Crammer is the last Archbishop to live at the Castle – the Castle, Park and Manor are granted to Thomas Cromwell

1541 The Crown

1541 The Crown

The Castle, Park and Manor are again held by the Crown

1580 Earthquake II

The Castle falls in to disrepair and becomes uninhabitable following a second earthquake

19th Century

After having fallen into decay the Castle is fully restored and converted to a home

World War II

World War II

It is rumoured that Hitler requested that the Castle avoid being bombed as Goring wanted it as a home

1953 Modern Times

1953 Modern Times

The Castle is purchased by Kenneth McKenzie Clark

1983

Sadly Kenneth McKenzie Clark, Lord of Saltwood dies

1999

1999

Following the death of her husband Alan Clark, Jane Clark inherits the Castle. 20th century – C Hall restored by architect Philip Tilden